Thursday 26 January 2012

Cameron Highland Solo Trailblazer


This is one of my solo trailblazing on Cameron Highland. This story happened 3 years ago. After that there were so many more follow up journey into different set of trail. I will share it with you from time to time. This writing is in experience mode. Next writing will be in the form of article. I hope this is beneficial












My idea of peace is chaos… Everything is set in motion… overwhelming with strength of the world… on my shoulder I put forth the courage to face down my demon… to amend my mistake as I played devil’s advocate… bad trade as I recalled…
The journey begins…..
I wake up thinking about how stupid I am to plan such a trip. without any guide to start with. This is not the issue… I have to consent, I trust myself…. I have to return the favor…
I arrived at Pudu Raya at 9.00 am. Unfortunately; I couldn’t get a direct bus to Cameron highland… its Chinese New Year eve. A bad timing indeed. I need to go to Ipoh first and from there, get a bus to the highland… I had a few insight discussions and reference on the map…
12.30pm - I reached Ipoh and it was unusually hot. It was a busy town I must tell you. Peoples were walking back and forth doing errands. Maybe it’s because of the festive season is around the corner
1.30pm - departed from Ipoh
The bus will be entering from the northern part of Cameron using the new Simpang Pulai – Gua Musang Highway. I didn’t anticipate that, so the plan has to be change (my arrangement is to enter Cameron from South. This is actually benefiting me to the later. I can take on Mount Swettenham on my first day
4.00pm - I reached Kampung Raja…
I have to walk 10km to Pos Penangau in order to enter Swettenham. 30 minutes walk and I stumbled upon Kumar (4WD driver) who happened to be going on the same direction. He drives me to the starting point…
4.45pm – arrived at Pos Penangau and met with a group of hiker…
They were going for V2.
5.00pm – start hiking
7.00pm – It’s getting dark…
After many attempts, route after route, scouting, scouring and running, we were still getting nowhere. It’s settled then, I have were to camp on the Jalan Balak, period
10.00pm – Raining
I can’t even describe how boring the mood was. Maybe this why people hike in a group; to cope with the stress of being alone. But sometimes I think, we need to be alone. We will have the perfect moment to be collective.

January 25, 2009… It’s still raining… its raining all night… I know because I did not sleep… Heaven is crying for me… crying for all the pain I endure… Pain is the essence of human soul… some says “You get to make the beast out of yourself to get rid the pain of being a man”… agreed….
1.30pm – The sky is still crying…
This isn’t happening… we wait long enough for the rain to stop… like it or not, we have to move on…
2.00pm – Exiting Pos Penangau….
I decided to walk to Tanah Rata…I felt a bit groggy… lack of sleep from last night watch… I have to walk for another 27km… it doesn’t matter… Rain…
3.00pm – Long stride towards Tanah Rata…
I was basically climbing towards Tanah Rata (15km walk with 600 average inclinations) …The rain made it easier… I was thankful for that… cars and buses pass by… The choice to walk proves fruitful… It’s heavily congested starting at Tringkap (Chinese New Year)… I manage to reach Brinchang faster than the last bus ride… It felt good…
The cardinal rule during the festive seasons especially on Cameron; walk if you can
8.30pm – Kem Sg Pauh…
11.00pm – light off…
I still couldn’t sleep… It’s a habit I developed during camping… stay alert… when I sleep; I dream… it was a good dream… no more death….

January 26, 2009… Waking up to a colorful morning… no more sorrow in the sky… my journey is still long… our next destination… Gunung Cantik and Centuk, Ringlet, Southern part of Cameron Highland… 15km from where I stand… No fear…
9.00am – Depart from Tanah Rata towards Ringlet…
9.30am – Reaching the junction and stop for breakfast…
From the junction, I have 6km to walk to reach the Boh factory… the entrance route is directly at the back of the factory…
11.00am – Boh Factory….
All gear in check and we going in…. Trailblazing the Tea plantation… a sight to be reckoned with… beautiful…
12.00pm – Peak of mount Cantik and Centuk…
I take a short break and observed what makes this mountain so special… The peak offer nothing much… what is unique about these mountains is getting there and getting down… breath taking as we traverse the tea plantation… you have to see it for yourself… From afar, I can see the Mount Beluat
1.30pm – Getting down…
3.30pm – Reaching the junction…
It was agonizing…It felt so long and the sky lit up on me… hot and thirsty… I  still have 10km to go… block the pain and move on… I still got the stamina and strength…
4.00pm – On the hilly road towards Tanah Rata…
It was bad…. The road never ends… infinite turns and curves… I endure it and my feet suffer… My skin burn and turn red… I endure it…. Bear with it… I felt woozy… The journey must go on
5.30pm – Tanah Rata at last….
I wanted more… I want to go to Mount Jasar and Mount Perdah and Ruil…
5.45pm – Start Jasar…
6.00pm – Jasar…
Fast stride en route for Perdah… have to reach Ruil before nightfall…… not enough time for sightseeing…
6.20pm – Perdah…
The sky is clear on the northern horizon… perfect for sunrise… suddenly I changed my mind… I said; Ruil is tomorrow… Maybe I had enough… I never manage to stay long… pity… I miss the best sunrise that day after a whole day of rain yesterday…. cold and hungry (I ate only nasi lemak that day)… never mind… I’ll cook my heart out tonight…
7.00pm – Kem Sungai Pauh…
10.00pm – sleep…
Ruil for tomorrow…

January 27, 2009… I planned to wake up late… to savior our last day with ease… but the UMP just won’t shut up… easily agitated and excited about things I don’t even understand… Cut me some slack will ya…
9.00am – Wake up and ready for Ruil…
No breakfast…
10.00am – Walking yet again to Ruil…
11.20am – Puncak Ruil…
12.00pm – Exit Ruil….
1.00pm – Kem Sg Pauh…

Gunung Swettenham + Pos Penangau + Ladang Blue Valley + Kg. Raja + Kg. Kuala Terla + Tringkap + Kea Farm + Brinchang + Tanah Rata + Habu + Ladang Boh + Gunung Cantik + Gunung Centuk + Bharat Tea + Gunung Jasar + Gunung Perdah + Gunung Ruil = 50km++
Finishing my long solo walk like a boss. 6 mountain climb. With load over 20kg. Odometer 56km. Hungary and cold.


Equipment
Suunto Compass A20
JUPEM Map 74

This writing will be amend from time to time




1 comment:

Cik Azz said...

Kalau ikut jalan sg. koyan boleh singgah rumah akak.. :-)